Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New year, new doctor, new diagnosis

TODAY I’m in fairly good health.

The sinus allergies act up, as they have off and on for most of my life. It’s annoying these days, when you know the best medicine is pseudoephedrine, but the pills you pick up off the shelf don’t have it, and to ask for it puts you under suspicion as some kind of meth-head.

Still, I’ve been worse.

15 YEARS AGO I had to admit it just wasn’t going to go away on its own.

For a couple of months I had noticed (or maybe Gwen noticed it first) this raspy wheezing in my breathing. It was especially noticeable after any kind of exertion, which would leave me feeling exhausted a lot quicker than it used to.

Must have been getting out of shape, in spite of having a fairly active on-my-feet job.

Before going to the Soonercon sci-fi/fantasy convention in Oklahoma City in November, I went to a doctor, and got a prescription for antibiotics to clear up whatever must have been attacking my lungs. The stuff seemed to work, as I had no problems at the con.

But in December we noticed the raspiness was still there. Just give it time, I thought. Gwen didn’t like me ignoring it, and suggested I see a doctor. I was going to start going to a new doc that my sister had recommended, so we made an appointment to see Dr. Wilson on the second of January, the first anniversary of the day Gwen and I met.

The doctor was friendly and knowledgeable. He listened to my description of the symptoms. He listened to my lungs and breathing. Sounded like a common infection, he said. He got out his prescription pad, saying he would put me on some antibiotics, I forget what kind now, but at the time they sounded familiar.

“Again?” I asked.

He stopped writing. Was I certain I had taken those before?

Of course. I told him how long and how long ago, and the fact that this raspy breathing and easy fatigue hadn’t gone away.

His demeanor changed. His face was stone professional, but there was an ohmygod look in his eyes. He took a closer look at the swollen glands around my neck. I realized later that from that moment he knew what it was, but he wouldn’t say until he knew for sure.

He immediately ordered X-rays.

(NEXT)

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, that look had to be so terrifying! It's such a good thing that he was on top of things though and caught what you were saying.

    ReplyDelete